It’s not always easy to get your pooch out for their daily run. This can be bad for your pet’s health and dogs in large cities are more likely to deal with this problem than other dogs. What’s the solution? For many pets, the answer is getting a dog treadmill.
While these devices can be more affordable and convenient than many pet owners realize, there’s still an investment to be made. Before you make a decision on which one to choose, check out our best dog treadmill reviews. Discover the pros and cons of all the top brands and types.
Quick Comparison: Best Treadmills Made For Dogs in 2017
* click on the product name to be taken to Amazon where you can check the current price and read customer reviews.
Below you’ll find in-depth reviews of each of the above products.
Editor’s Choice – Best Dog Treadmill
Here’s our pick of some of the best products in the market.
1. Domestic Pet Dogpacer Dog Treadmill Interaction
The Domestic Pet Dogpacer Dog Treadmill Interaction is available in two sizes: regular and mini. It is one of the top dog treadmills on the market. Like most products, it has both pros and cons.
- 28” long and 22” wide and 8.5” high when folded
- 77” long and 27.16” wide and 46.18” high when unfolded
- The running area is 71” long and 16.5” wide
- It weighs 79 pounds
Things We Like About This Treadmill
- This treadmill folds up, which saves tons of space. This is a must-have feature for people living in small apartments or homes that don’t have an extra inch to spare.
- The computer on this treadmill is pre-set with dog fitness programs. You can further customize them based on your dog’s breed, size, weight, and age. The flexibility of this program is one of the best on the market.
- The steel frame is reinforced so pet owners don’t have to worry about the safety of this dog treadmill.
- The 1.5 horsepower motor is very powerful. It can handle running speeds of anywhere from half a mile per hour to 7.5 miles per hour.
- The incline can be adjusted between 5 and 9 degrees.
- The included warranty is one year on all parts and a full three years on the frame.
- The collapsible side panels are easy to take apart and put back together.
- Can handle dogs up to 180 pounds. Perfect for both big and small dogs.
ORDER IT FROM AMAZON
Things We Didn’t Like About This Treadmill
- When the folding feature works it works great. Unfortunately, some users have reported that the folding mechanism doesn’t work perfectly or stops working after a period of time. The good news is that the warranty should cover this issue.
- The treadmill is much louder than many people realize. It’s not loud enough to wake the neighbors but it is noticeably loud, thanks to the powerful motor.
- For some dogs, the minimum 5 degree incline is too high.
- This may not be the best option for dogs with hip issues because there’s a roller ball in the middle of the treadmill that can lead to adjustments in gait.
2. Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill Indoor Exercise and Fitness Kit
The Go Pet Petrun Pr700 has more safety features than many other dog treadmills. It also allows several dogs to exercise at the same time, which makes it ideal for families with more than one dog.
- Can handle dogs up to 44 pounds.
- Tread running area: 28 x 16.
- Speeds from .6 miles per hour to 7.4 miles per hour.
What We Liked About This Treadmill
- An emergency safety stop helps keep dogs safe. Not all dog treadmills have this safety feature.
- The tread running area is wide enough for several dogs to run together. This not only means owners of multiple dogs must use this less often, but dogs may be more likely to run if they can do so with other dogs.
- It can be controlled either through a remote or manually. This allows owners to keep an eye on their pooches without having to stand next to them the entire time they’re running.
- The operation is very quiet. While the manufacturer claims it’s silent, there is some noise – but much less than other models.
- You have total control over both the speed and a timer.
- The platform is low, which makes it a great choice for smaller dogs and senior dogs who can’t get up on a taller platform by themselves – or who could possibly fall from a taller platform and become injured.
- A dog chain holder makes it easy to secure the dog on the treadmill.
- Speeds range from .6 miles per hour to 7.4 miles per hour.
ORDER IT FROM AMAZON
What We Didn’t Like About This Treadmill
- While we love that it’s wide enough to be used by two dogs at once, the 44 pound weight limit makes it difficult for two medium sized dogs to run together.
- It takes up quite a bit of space, which makes it less than practical for pet owners in small spaces. However, it’s still a good option for pet owners who only need an option for winter walking.
- There are no computerized programs. You simply set a speed and a timer.
- There are guardrails on the side but not the more comprehensive solid sides that others have. This may be a concern for owners of particularly small pooches.
3. GoPet GoPet TreadWheel
The GoPet GoPet TreadWheel for Large Dogs is powered by the dog’s own energy. This is one of the most expensive options on the market – but also one of the most popular.
- Works with dogs up to 150 pounds.
- Running area: 60” D by 20” W.
- The overall running dimensions are 70”H by 35” D and 65” W.
What We Liked
- The surface is cushioned and double matted to ensure dogs of all sizes and ages are comfortable. This can also decrease the chance of hip or leg injuries while on the treadmill.
- Because it works against a dog’s own energy, there are no speeds a dog must keep up with – and no maximum speed if your pooch is a very fast runner. Ironically, the lack of special features really makes this very customizable.
- Since it doesn’t require electricity and there are no exposed parts for your dog to get caught in, it can be used at any time – not just when you’re at home and supervising him.
- This treadmill is made in the United States of America.
- It’s easy to clean – just remove the pad and wash it down.
- It’s been specially treated to be mildew resistant.
- It’s been UV treated so it can be used outside without damage.
- It weighs just 15 pounds, which means most anyone can move it around the home when they need to.
- Made specifically for large dogs, pooches at heavy as 150 pounds can use it, yet it still works just as well for small dogs.
- Because there is no motor, it’s very quiet when in use. Much quieter than most dog treadmills.
ORDER IT FROM AMAZON
What We Don’t Like
- The price. The reviews don’t focus solely on price – but it is one factor to consider. When this treadmill is as much as three times the cost of other comparable treadmills, it’s certainly a factor worth considering.
- While it’s great that it works by encouraging dogs to run on their own, that can be a challenge for dogs that don’t want to run. Treadmills with motors simply start moving and a dog much catch up. With this option, you have to convince your dog to get it started.
- There is no door or guardrails to keep the dog on. This is great news for some owners who want their pooch to use it even when they’re not home, but other owners would prefer more safety or an easier way to keep their dog motivated and on the treadmill.
- This is a large treadmill. It takes up more space than your average dresser and is not typically a good option for a homeowner living in a smaller space.
- The included warranty only covers damage to the wheel before you receive it. As such, it’s more a guarantee that the wheel will arrive to you in great condition – not that it will stand up over the test of time.
4. PetZen DogTread Dog Treadmill
The PetZen DogTread Dog Treadmill can be considered halfway between a motorized treadmill and a treadmill that’s dog-powered: it does have a motor but it also has a setting where dogs can use it without the motor.
- Run area: 75×17
- Product: 89x24x19
- 100 pounds
- Assembly required
- Speeds: 0-7 miles per hour
What We Liked
- This treadmill was made specifically for dogs. The designers took into consideration the way a dog thinks, the way a dog learns, and the way a dog moves. Some advanced features make it a top of choice of all the treadmills reviewed.
- It’s easier for dogs to contain their correct gait thanks to the Open Stride low-profile running platform. It adds additional reinforcement that works great for dogs.
- The low-profile running platform also means that dogs with hip issues, as well as smaller dogs, can get on and off without too much trouble.
- The design was made to be packed together so you can save space. Store it on it sized or even on its nose.
- It has a large run area, which is great for both large dogs and small dogs. In fact, with such a wide run area there’s no reason two small dogs couldn’t use it at the same time.
- This is a particularly durable dog treadmill.
- The speed ranges from 0 – 7 miles per hour. This gives you, as an owner, total control over how your dog uses it. You can start with zero miles per hour and get your dog used to walking on it, then increase the speed to give them a great workout.
- It can handle weights of up to 150 pounds. This is great not just for owners with large dogs but for homes with multiple dogs. Other treadmills with enough room for two dogs to walk have a much lower weight limit which renders them useless. Not this one.
- Built-in technology tracks your dog’s workout. It allows you to adjust the speed, change the mode, and see both how long and how far your dog as walked or run.
- This is an extremely quiet motorized treadmill.
- An included training manual gives great information on walking your dog. It recommends 30 – 45 minutes per day and includes tons of stats, research, and tips for getting reluctant dogs started on a training program.
ORDER IT FROM AMAZON
What We Didn’t Like
- At 100 pounds, this is one of the heavier options on the market. While we like that the SlimLINE design is specifically designed so it can be stored easily, it can easily take two people to move it. This makes it much less useful and downright unhelpful for many people.
- This does require minimum assembly. For savvy pet owners this won’t be a problem. For people who struggle with these issues, it can not only be a frustrating experience but it can lead to an unsafe finished product.
- The incline adjustment is done via a flip bar. This makes some pet owners uncomfortable, as a bar is more likely to break easily than a motorized component. It also requires the owner to get involved with the machine while it’s working – which makes some nervous.
Which Treadmill Came Out on Top?
All of the best dog treadmill reviews made one thing clear: there are a lot of great choices out there! The right one will depend largely on your budget and what your top priorities are when you’re shopping for a treadmill for your own pooch.
For dog owners living in small areas, the Domestic Pet Dogpacer Dog Treadmill Interaction is a great choice. It easily folds up so you can put it out of the way when it’s not in use – though the 79 pound weight may make it difficult for some people to move.
For families with several dogs, the PetZen DogTread Dog Treadmill is an excellent choice. It offers many different options and the included training manual makes it much simpler for owners who are nervous about starting out with a treadmill.